CSci 4511 - Writing 2
Writing 2 -- due Thursday February 28
This writing will be graded out of 10 points.
For this writing you will write a report on
X. Sun, S. Koenig, and W. Yeoh.
Generalized Adaptive A*.
Proc. Int'l Conf. on Autonomous
Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS), pages 469–476, 2008.
Please submit a pdf of the paper and the bibtex file you
- Your writing should be approximatively 500 words.
- When writing, avoid simply rehashing the abstract of the paper or writing
many pages paraphrasing the paper.
Use your own words and summarize the ideas presented in a clear and
concise way. Make sure you understand the key concepts presented
in the paper.
- Here are suggestions for what to cover in your summary/review:
- What problem are the authors trying to solve?
- What are the novel contributions stated in the paper by the authors?
- For what type of problems is the algorithm proposed appropriate?
- Do the authors validate their approach experimentally or theoretically?
- If the validation is done experimentally, are the experimental results
sufficient to demonstrate the power of the algorithm? Are the datasets used
in the experimental work available for others to use?
- Is the paper clearly written and easy to follow? is the algorithm
described clearly so it is possible to implement it and replicate the results?
- What did you find most interesting? Do you think this algorithm will
be useful? for what problems?
You need to include in your paper at least 5 bibliographical references
of the following five different types:
a conference paper, a journal article, a book, a book chapter, a
technical report or thesis. When you look for references, make sure
you check where the paper was published, so you include citations
of all those different types. You can include some of the
references in the paper you are reading and add the missing types if any.
For this writing you do not need to read the references, just cite them.
I want to use this to make sure everyone learns how to specify the different
types of publications in bibtex.
You have to format the references using bibtex.
You can look at
details on how to do bibliographies in Latex. When you understand how
bibtex work, look at the
BibTeX cheat sheet included in the page for a list of all the
entry types and fields with descriptions.
- The writing has to be done using latex. You need to submit the
pdf file produced by latex.
Copyright: © 2019 by the Regents of the University
- 20% for writing a succint but precise summary of the paper;
- 30% for the depth of the analysis of the paper. Use the
questions listed above as guidance;
- 10% for the clarity in expressing your opinions on the
strengths and weaknesses of the paper;
- 20% for using latex and bibtex for the citations;
- 20% for the quality of writing (spelling, grammar, clarity
of expression, structure).
Department of Computer Science and
Engineering. All rights reserved.
Comments to: Maria Gini
Changes and corrections are in red.